Does your MSP have the tech talent ready when that big revenue-generating client or project lands in your lap? In other words: Are you ready to scale profitably?
You’re ready to outsource engineering talent and benefit greatly – including maximizing efficiency and cost savings – when you face situations like:
- Your service costs are increasing, but your revenue is not
- You can’t find the right talent after acquiring new business
- You can’t find the right talent after employee turnover
- You’re looking to extend business hours to meet client needs
But no matter the reason, outsourcing engineering talent all begins with selecting the right third-party talent provider. Here are some strategies and questions to ask a provider that will help you select the right one to suit your budget and needs.
- Define your requirements: Before selecting a provider, you must know your requirements. This includes identifying the specific engineering skills and experience needed for their projects, your budget, and your timeline. Also consider any regulatory or compliance requirements that the talent provider must meet.
- Conduct thorough research: Conduct thorough research to identify potential providers. This includes reviewing portfolios and case studies to assess their capabilities and experience. Be sure to check references and reviews from past clients to ensure they’re reputable and reliable.
- Start small. When outsourcing for the first time, start with a small project to test the waters. This allows you to evaluate the provider’s capabilities and approach without committing to a larger project and financial investment.
Ask these key questions when evaluating potential talent providers:
- What’s your experience working with MSPs? What types of projects have you worked on?
- What are your core competencies and how do they align with our requirements?
- How do you ensure the quality of your work and what kind of guarantees do you offer?
- What’s your pricing model and how do you handle additional work or changes to the scope of the project?
- What’s your process for communication and collaboration, and how do you ensure transparency throughout the project?
- What’s your approach to project management and how do you ensure deadlines are met?
- Do you work with our toolsets?
- How much will my team be expected to manage the talent? How much do you manage your talent once we hire them?
Outsourcing engineering talent provides many benefits for your MSP, but selecting the right third-party talent provider is critical for success. By defining your requirements, conducting thorough research, asking the right questions, and starting small, you can find the right third-party talent provider to meet your operational and budget needs.
For more content like this, be sure to follow Build IT by ITBD on LinkedIn and YouTube, check out our on-demand learning platform, Build IT University, and be sure to Register for Build IT LIVE, our 3-day education focused conference, September 18 –20 in Orlando, FL!